Published by: Tyler Avery
Green IT is all around us. In researching this post, I found out that sustainable computing has greatly increased without my knowledge or consent. For instance: wireless transactions. I recently received a notice from my utility provider that it would be in my best interest to go paperless. Not being keen to wireless transacting due to the commonality of internet fraud and theft, [thanks to this class] I decided not to do so. However, it was noted that companies are making the move to cut down on environmental waste. Huge internet giant, Google just shelled out $200 million to invest in wind turbines in Texas. More on that here.
Energy efficiency tops the action-item list for the initiative. Yes, it is important to control the E-waste landfill, but what I found to be most gripping, was another infographic here. Striking me as informative and interesting, I researched some of the most common things we college students do now, that, if altered could impact the Green IT campaign.
Some good facts to know…
By turning off your computer each night or when not in use (i.e. lunch times, weekends, when in meetings at night) for a year you save as much energy as it takes:
- to run a clock radio for 1,392 weeks
- to make 9,280 bags of microwave popcorn
- to wash 464 loads of washing
- to use your blow dryer for 5,568 hours
- to vacuum for 464 hours
- to produce 3,480 plastic bags
- to run your microwave 24 hours a day for a week
- to boil your kettle for 24 hours a day for 268 days
What do you, the reader, think about Green IT? Even more so, what are you willing to do about minimizing your carbon footprint?
http://www.greenitweek.org/learn/news-a-articles/185-what-is-green-it
http://chemicallygreen.com/going-green-an-infographic-guide-to-cost-effective-living/
http://www.goinggreentoday.com/blog/10-green-facts-that-will-make-your-head-spin/
http://pinterest.com/bennuworld/green-infographics/

I really appreciate the effort for IT to go green. To build a better and balanced world for everyone, environmental impacts definitely need to be considered. Not only is being "green" sustainable, but as you mentioned it can also be more efficient. Protecting the environment is vitally important for the future generation, as well as ours. I feel it is so often overlooked and ignored. Harming the environment will have an affect on yourself, where do you think you'll be in ten years? Somewhere else? I support the Green IT movement. Personally, I will make an effort to limit unnecessary computer usage, power off my computer when its not needed, and try to learn more about the Green initiative.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI am one of those people that never turn off any electronics, but after reading this and seeing the numbers I will probably start doing turning them off. They aren't being used so why leave them on. It's just like turning the TV off before you go to bed instead of sleeping with the TV on. (I used to do this as well). I only use my computer when I am in school so I could probably save even more than the estimates. Thank you for the information!
ReplyDeleteI leave my TV on as well when I go bed. I never realized how much energy that I was using. I also leave my computer on all the time. I never really realized how much the little things really can help. It's not that hard to just turn my laptop or computer when I'm not using. Same thing goes with my TV, even though it does put me to sleep. I can at least put the TV in sleep mode so it turns of itself. This article gave me a little information about how many of the small things I can do to help and also save a little money myself.
ReplyDelete